Sunday, July 24, 2005

Being Weird

Gah. Was looking forward to Corrinne May's Homecoming Concert but apparently tickets have been sold out already! Shall just have to take comfort in my DimSumDollies tickets :)

A great weekend for introspection and daydreaming. Yes it's been more than a month after returning from US and I'm still sorting through my photos. Was looking through the Disneyland ones and thinking about how part-time work itself is already so much more fun over in LA than over there. I could go work as the Chip&Dale mascot or something. But then again it's hard to sustain that bounce the whole day if you're tigger and I'd probably get dragged by kids half my size if I had Merlin's beard or Eeyore's tail so maybe I'm just not cut out to be a mascot either.

Then I was wondering what would happen if I put a shark through my roof or if I were to build my house shaped like a naked woman (Mexico) or just do something bizzare and attention seeking... and have neighbours all the way from the opposite side of Singapore write in to the STforums and HDB officials knocking on my door and getting all the warning letters. And we wonder why such stuff don't happen over here.

I found the perfect word to describe Singapore - Sterile, meaning clean, efficient, effective, but that's about it. In other words, Too Clean, Too efficient, Too effective. But who's complaning, it's when you have met the basics that you go back and think, what if.

And I was reading into the lives of starving artists in New York:

"On the streets crowds of people were staggering this way and that, newly released from their office tombs. Grim faces, worm down like cobblestones, never to make anything of their lives. These were the worker bees and drones, who had been imprisoned in American thought-patterns since birth, with no hope for escape but the weekly mililon dollar lottery. Walking at a slow speed, which drove me crazy. But what would have motivated them to move quickly?

It didn't bother me, the looks and stares I got. People were angry with me, and why? Because I was some sort of freak, an artist. They were trapped, and I wasn't. So I felt smug, even though I was starving.."

1 Comments:

Blogger Agagooga said...

Disneyland with the Death Penalty.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home